Committee Minutes – March 4th 2019

Kaleidoscope – Minutes of Committee Meeting held on March 4th 2019

Present: Ann Smedley, Yvonne Ward, Helen Klich, Anne Mapley, Josie Wilson, Chris Dixon, Rupert Feld, Catherine Docherty

M. D.

Rupert feels the rehearsals are going well and he is learning each week. It is difficult for Rupert to bring us off at the end of phrases, so members are asked to watch him and if he cannot take his hands off the piano he will ‘goldfish’.

It was agreed Rupert will continue as M.D. leading from the piano and we will test how well it is working with a fairly low key concert. We will continue to review this and may look at the option to recruit a conductor, who can work with Rupert as M.D. The Committee asked Rupert to consider consistency in how we are to sing a piece, as repeatedly changing makes it more difficult for the choir. Rupert asked us to let him know if we feel he is changing too much.


Pat Brant has run our monthly numbers square for several years but has asked to hand this over to someone else. We would like to thank Pat for her contribution over this time. Josie volunteered to now run this.

Marilyn Maguire stepped down from Committee at the AGM and has now left choir in order to support her family more easily. She had been finding it increasingly difficult to attend rehearsals. We would like to thank her for her contribution on the Committee, particularly as our Ticket Secretary.

Jo Demaine, Trish Tranter and Irene Murphy have left choir and we wish them all well.

Helen will contact Kate O’Toole to enquire if she is returning after her sabbatical to support her family.

All members are asked to spread the word that we are recruiting into sopranos. Flyers and posters will be available at rehearsal. Members are asked to distribute these to wherever they think appropriate and share the Facebook page.


Rupert suggested he welcomes new members and explains some pieces are well known by the choir, others we will be learning etc.

‘California Dreaming’ will be used only as a warm-up. But even so a wordsheet will be available to new members as that may be the easiest to use.

It is proposed that eventually we will have the music for ‘Hallelujah’ i.e. once we have finished learning it, and that the music it will also need to be available for new members. Anne to pursue permission for ‘Hallelujah, perhaps approaching someone else within the UK company that holds copyright.

Rupert has ordered ‘A Million Dreams’ and proposes to put this together with ‘The Greatest Show’ and another arrangement from The Greatest Showman, to form a medley. He is arranging ‘A Month of Maying’ for us and may look at other madrigals.

Rupert has bought for review one copy each of both ‘Viva la Vida’ and ‘Skyfall’. He agreed to revive ‘Jesu Joy’ and ‘Scarborough Fair’ at the Committee’s request and we will continue working on ‘Gaelic Blessing’.

We will keep ‘Dancing Queen’ in the repertoire and perhaps introduce ‘Knowing Me Knowing You’ plus a number by the Ruttles (spoof Beatles), ‘I must be in Love’.

Rupert confirmed he is hoping to introduce a new piece of music every 2 or 3 weeks!

Helen to email the full list of our music to Rupert.

Rupert confirmed he is happy to take the vocal warm-up once he arrives.


The change to seating is working well and the Committee felt it enabled members to keep fire exits clear and ensure the piano lead is not a trip hazard.

Rupert is unavailable on April 25th and May 1st. Rehearsal will be cancelled on April 24th. Anne to research a possible guest conductor for May 1st.


We are aiming to schedule a concert in late May/early June for Myeloma UK at Elford Village Hall. The hall has a capacity of 140 with a kitchen and bar. Anne to liaise with the hall as to potential dates.

Rupertproposed a concert at Alrewas Methodist Church as a fund raiser for the choir a month or so later. This would be a concert of Rupert’s piano music interspersed with the choir singing, probably some of the repertoire from the Myeloma UK concert. Rupert to liaise with the church about dates and financial arrangements.

It was suggested that as these concerts would be in villages, the village news section of the Lichfield Mercury could be approached for publicity along with parish magazines.

We would then intend to hold a concert at Thomas Spencer Hall, Whittington nearer to Christmas.

If any member is aware of an organisation who would like us to schedule a concert please see a committee member or email


Whittington Village Hall has held October 12th for a workshop. Anne to contact Liz George (Hammerwich Ta-Rowdles Choir) to potentially lead the workshop. If she is not available then perhaps approach Cathy Lamb, and research other possible leaders.

Support Staffordshire

Anne to follow up application to this organisation, who support non-profit making organisations, to find out what support they can offer us.

Next Meeting – Monday April 1st March 2019 at Yvonne’s House

Dates for your Diary

Wednesday April 24th – Rehearsal Cancelled

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.